National/Specialised Music Organisation
Miso Music Portugal
The Cultural Non-Profit Association Miso Music Portugal, recognized as a Public Utility Institution, is a centre for creation, development and promotion of contemporary music. Its mission is to encourage the national and international circulation of ideas and values, as well as new music creations and performances, which stimulate and promote the art created here and now.
- To promote, encourage and document contemporary music creation, with the focus on music by Portuguese composers, by means of producing and spreading projects of creation, publishing, as well as performances in the area of contemporary and electroacoustic music and other artistic genres related to it;
- To encourage experimentation, innovation and research within art, above all in the field of music, both at the level of performance and composition and through its connection with new technologies;
- To stimulate international networks connected with the new music sector, through Miso Music Portugal's various affiliations and Portugal's active participation, coordinating efforts in partnership with other entities towards orientating and promoting Portuguese music creation at international level;
- To value the Portuguese music heritage giving access to information and the heritage's documents, by means of providing an online database - the Portuguese Music Research & Information Centre (www.mic.pt);
- To promote and contribute to education through art, by means of activities for different audiences, and particularly for children;
- To contribute to the diffusion of contemporary music, particularly with respect to Portuguese creation, by making it reach the possibly largest public;
- To inform Portuguese composers and performers on the relevant means and possibilities in the field of contemporary music, such as composition and performance competitions, courses, festivals, commissions and international support for music activities;
- To inform the general public, as well as professionals from the music sector, on the relevant events within the national and international music environment.