In November 2007 the European ministers of Culture (Culture Council) agreed on a "European Agenda for Culture" based on the Communication which was published by the European Commission in May 2007.
The European Agenda for Culture seeked to address the role of culture in the EU. There is a growing recognition within the EU that culture lies at the heart of the European project and has a unique and indispensable role to play in :
- The promotion of cultural diversity and intercultural dialouge
- The promotion of culture as a catalyst for creativity in the framework of the Lisbon Strategy for growth, employment, innovation and competitiveness
- The promotion of culture as a vital element in the Union's international relations
The intention of the agenda was to establish new partnerships and forms of communication. Therefore a structured dialogue between the political field (EU Commission, Member States, EU Parliament) and the civil society wa developed.
- Text of the Agenda
- Resolution of the Culture Council of November 2008
- Statement by EMC as in Sounds #3