The EMC's objectives and strategies are formulated on the basis of the EMC's position, responsibilities and opportunities as the European network of music networks. Its membership consists of National Music Councils as well as national and international music organisations based in Europe. Being a regional Council of the International Music Council , the EMC also works on an international level.
- The EMC has the power and know-how to promote musical diversity, and to support musical development in Europe.
- The EMC, on behalf of its broad constituency, is in a position to advocate changes in European musical policies in relation to institutions such as the European Union and the Council of Europe, and, through its members, in relation to national governments and various musical communities.
Through the IMC, the EMC also participates in international advocacy work in relation to such organisations as UNESCO. Furthermore, the EMC can play the role of consultant for policy-makers in regard to information about the music sector and its policies.
- The EMC has the capacity to provide strategic information, and facilitate exchange and cooperation between different music cultures and interests in Europe.
Objectives and Strategies
1. Protection and Promotion of Cultural Diversity
The European Music Council will sustain and enhance musical diversity in Europe by promoting all types of music.
- Protect and advocate for underrepresented musical cultures, forms and genres;
- Proactively include organisations from all sectors of music in its membership;
2. Advocacy & Consultancy
The European Music Council will influence decision-makers in Europe by voicing the needs, concerns and interests of the music sector.
- Sustain and enhance relationships with key individuals and decision-making bodies on a European level;
- Maintain an active awareness of the political agendas of its members in order to contribute to the coordination of interests, and to support members in their endeavours to influence decisions relevant to music on a national as well as a European level;
- Speak on behalf of the music sector when decision-making bodies at a European level develop cultural policies, and hence influence decisions related to the development of music in Europe;
- Increase the advocacy work among its membership.
3. Information exchange, communication and cooperation
The European Music Council will encourage co-operation between players within the European music sector by facilitating communication and exchange of information.
- Serve as contact for members and other music organisations, disseminate information on member activities and provide information on issues of interest for the sector;
- Contribute to the co-ordination of projects among members and disseminate information relative to such projects;
- Actively participate in the 'European public space' and increase the visibility of the EMC's and its members' activities;
- Encourage the exchange of experts in music between Europe and the rest of the world and serve as junction between European and international music organisations.